Current:Home > ScamsEchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Indiana man sentenced for neglect after rat attack on his infant son -Quantum Capital Pro
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Indiana man sentenced for neglect after rat attack on his infant son
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 05:56:32
EVANSVILLE,EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center Ind. (AP) — An Indiana man convicted of child neglect for a rat attack that left his 6-month-old son with disfiguring injuries has been sentenced to the maximum 16 years in prison.
A judge sentenced David Schonabaum, 32, on Wednesday after the Evansville man was convicted by a jury in September on three felony counts of neglect of a dependent.
Vanderburgh County Superior Court Judge Robert Pigman found no mitigating factors to reduce the sentence, the Evansville Courier & Press reported.
Prosecutor Diana Moers previously said her office would not hold back in pursuing the “highest possible sentence.”
The Associated Press left a telephone message and sent an email Thursday to Schonabaum’s defense attorney seeking comment.
Evansville police arrested Schonabaum and his wife, Angel Schonabaum, in September 2023 after David Schonabaum called 911 to report that his 6-month-old son had been severely injured by rats inside their residence, according to a probable cause affidavit.
The Indiana Department of Child Services had previously inquired about conditions in the home.
Investigators said the infant suffered more than 50 rat bites and required treatment at an Indianapolis hospital.
An Evansville police detective wrote in the affidavit that the four fingers and thumb on the child’s right hand “were missing the flesh from the top of them, exposing fingertip bones.”
After a jury convicted Schonabaum in September, Moers said paramedics and police had found “the infant was laying in his crib in a pool of blood and the bites were so bad on his body − including his face, mouth, and extremities − that they left bone showing on one hand and he is now permanently disfigured.”
Angel Schonabaum, 29, pleaded guilty to felony neglect charges in September, days before she was scheduled to stand trial. Her sentencing is set for Oct. 24.
veryGood! (598)
Related
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Bodycam footage shows high
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Ranking
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Recommendation
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID